A Legacy of Preaching: Two-Volume Set---Apostles to the Present Day
A Legacy of Preaching: Two-Volume Set follows the great preachers of history, in their context, as they approach the theological task of preaching. While some approach preaching from the perspective of movements and eras, this unique two-volume set explores preaching through the lives, ministry, and theology of history’s most influential preachers.
|Number Of Pages: ||800|
|Publication Date: ||20181211|
Savings $32.00 [40%]
A Legacy of Preaching, Two-Volume Set--Apostles to the Present Day explores the history and development of preaching through a biographical and theological examination of its most important preachers. Instead of teaching the history of preaching from the perspective of movements and eras, each contributor tells the story of a particular preacher in history, allowing these preachers from the past to come alive and instruct us through their lives, theologies, and methods of preaching.
Each chapter introduces readers to a key figure in the history of preaching, followed by an analysis of the theological views that shaped their preaching, their methodology of sermon preparation and delivery, and an appraisal of the significant contributions they have made to the history of preaching. This diverse collection of familiar and lesser-known individuals provides a detailed and fascinating look at what it has meant to communicate the gospel over the past two thousand years. By looking at how the gospel has been communicated over time and across different cultures, pastors, scholars, and homiletics students can enrich their own understanding and practice of preaching for application today.
Volume One covers the period from the apostles to the Puritans and profiles thirty preachers including:
- Origen of Alexandria by Stephen O. Presley
- John Chrysostom by Paul A. Hartog
- Augustine of Hippo by Edward L. Smither
- Gregory the Great by W. Brian Shelton
- Bernard of Clairvaux by Elizabeth Hoare
- Francis of Assisi by Timothy D. Holder
- Saint Bonaventure by G. R. Evans
- Meister Eckhart by Daniel Farca?
- John Huss by Mark A. Howell
- Martin Luther by Robert Kolb
- John Calvin by Anthony N. S. Lane
- Jonathan Edwards by Gerald R. McDermott
- John Wesley by Michael Pasquarello III
- George Whitefield by Bill Curtis and Timothy McKnight
- and many more
Volume Two covers the period from the Enlightenment to the present day and profiles thirty-one preachers including:
- Catherine Booth by Roger J. Green
- Charles Haddon Spurgeon by Thomas J. Nettles
- Henry Ward Beecher by Michael Duduit
- John Albert Broadus by Hershael W. York
- D. L. Moody by Gregg L. Quiggle
- Billy Sunday by Kristopher K. Barnett
- Karl Barth by William H. Willimon
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer by Keith W. Clements
- D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones by Carl Trueman
- John Stott by Greg R. Scharf
- Harry Emerson Fosdick by Dwayne Milioni
- Aimee Semple McPherson by Aaron Friesen
- Gardner C. Taylor by Alfonza W. Fulwood and Robert Smith Jr.
- Billy Graham by John N. Akers
- Martin Luther King Jr. by Alfonza W. Fulwood, Dennis R. McDonald, and Anil Sook Deo
- J. I. Packer by Leland Ryken and Benjamin Hernández
- and many more